Wednesday, August 02, 2006

$2.48

It was the best $2.48 I've ever spent ...

The other day, I was sitting on my back porch swing around 7 am drinking my coffee and noticed two hummingbirds flying around our yard and the neighbor's yard. Neither one of us had hummingbird feeders. It looked like they were looking for food. I was amazed at this and thought that surely if I put a feeder up, they'd come over to it, since they were already flying around.

So, I went to Wal-Mart and saw feeders ranging from this mere $2.48 up to around $20. They had special nectar and all kinds of "frills" that I had no idea what they were even for! Obviously, I had never hung a hummingbird feeder before! Being cheap, I figured the $2.48 one was just as good as any, so I took it home.

Then I called Mamaw because I thought I remembered her making her own "nectar" for her feeder. Sure enough, she told me the "secret recipe," including a touch of red food coloring, and I had my feeder hung in no time.

The following is not an exaggeration: Not 60 seconds after I had come inside from hanging the feeder, I had a hummingbird drinking away!! I couldn't believe it. I thought, well, maybe they'll find it in the next couple of days. No--60 seconds!!

In the past few days I have enjoyed watching these amazing creatures buzz back and forth and chase each other away and fight for dominance and enjoy the simple sugar-water tinted with red. I believe it's been the best $2.48 I've ever spent!

Here are a couple of pictures I took today:




The lighting isn't the best, but you get the idea. :) I'll have to take some in the morning. I bet the light would be better then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are fascinating little creatures! You've got a great spot for them and you'll enjoy seeing them from your dining table!

Elizabeth said...

Hey Kim! I'm so glad you have a blog now so I can keep up with you guys. Johnathan is precious. Love the hummingbird feeder.