Monday, September 11, 2006

Faith like a child

First I have to start off by telling a story that Patsy Clairmont told at the Women of Faith conference: She went to a bookstore and found her way to the children's books. There, a little girl, maybe 4, saw her, and pointing to a nearby chair said, "Sit!" Patsy said that she wasn't sure what was so compelling about this child's demmand, but what else was she supposed to do? So she sat! Then the little girl said, "I'm going to sit here and you're going to read this book to me." And she handed Patsy a book. A little stunned, Patsy accepted the book, and again was compelled to obey! A bit later, the girl's mother came to retrieve her daughter. Patsy looked up a little sheepishly at the mother as if she had been caught. "She made me do it!" said Patsy! The mother gave Patsy a look that seemed to say, "This is not the first time this has happened," and took her child by the hand, and they went on their way!

I wonder if God ever feels compelled to listen to children the same way.

Here's today's experience:

It was raining. Granted, a 10 minute shower, but for which I was VERY grateful. I was swinging on the back porch swing while Johnathan ran around in the rain. (No, Mom, it wasn't lightening or anything.) :) Johnathan said to me, "I want the rain to stop." To which I replied, "Oh, son, only God can make the rain stop." Then he looked up at the sky, blinking drops of rain out of his eyes, and in the most commanding voice a 2-yr-old can muster shouted out, "Stop!"

And it did.

Johnathan looked satisfied, but not surprised, and continued playing in the yard.

Seriously, the sun came out and the rain stopped! It's as if God had the same reaction as Patsy. When a child says something with so much faith that whatever he asks for will be done, what's one to do?

Why is it so hard for me to ask with such confidence? Like I'm going to hurt God's feelings by asking for something too big? I don't think so!

Thank you, God, for teaching me daily through my child! Open my eyes and ears so I can continue to learn!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I have tears of joy in my eyes! I have to find a way to tell this story at Lectureship!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Sweet story. I have a feeling this will show up in one of my Ladies Classes too! Thanks for sharing, Kim!

Cheryl said...

What an amazing Father we have...when all my children speak at once...I hear the loudest one. When all of His children speak...He hears EACH one.
Thanks for this post, It is VERY encouraging!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, great comment from Cheryl. I may have to add that to my Ladies Class too!

The Sheets said...

great story... great for ladies classes... But...

have you considered the possibility that your first-born COULD be a super-hero? Just think about it. ;)

-Daisha

Kristi Petrak said...

That's why God tells us to be like little children! That's the point I want to make to others with my hi-notes this week! Thanks for wording it the lovely way that you did. Love you!!!
Kristi ^_^

Anonymous said...

I do hope you are compiling your book! You have a definite talent for sharing your thoughts in words that touch others!

The Sheets said...

Man, do I feel shallow... I was the only one who tried to make a joke. :S

D