Thursday, September 14, 2006

Blackmail

So, it was naptime. Johnathan was pretty sleepy, so I didn't think going to sleep would be too hard today. I got him all tucked in, we said our prayer and I closed the door.

About 2 minutes later, I hear, "Mommy! Where's my blanket??" Oh no. I had forgotten. It was in the dreaded washing machine. Not the dryer where I could yank it out and rush the tattered threads into him. No, the washing machine that I had run that morning.

"Johnathan," I say as sweetly as possible, "it's in the washer, baby. I bet you can take a nap without it just this once."

The floodgates of his eyes were opened and the wailing began. He was sooo overtired.

What to do? I couldn't give him his wet blanket, which was now running in the dryer. He needed to take a nap right then because we had other plans that evening and I couldn't wait around for the dryer to sufficiently dry his blanket and then for him to have his nap. Hmmm ...

"Johnathan, do you want to borrow one of Baby Kalleigh's new blankets for today?"

"Yyyeeah," again, through sobs.

I pulled one that I thought felt the most like his old one and took it into him. Tucking him in, again, I said, "Isn't that nice that Baby Kalleigh can share her blanket with you? Maybe one day you can share your blanket with her!" "Okay," was his whispered reply, as he was already half asleep.

Mean old Mommy just had to pull out the camera before I woke him to show him one day how he slept with his little sister's blanket because his was in the washer! His high school girlfriends are going to love this:

9 comments:

Amanda said...

Well- the poicture on my blog of Hailey with Daisy was actually me holding Her up and taking the picture at the same time. So she really isn't sitting up yet. :)

I am sure you will have alot of fun with this picture when Johnathan is older.

Anonymous said...

Oh, h-o-w sweet! I remember once Elizabeth actually leaned her head against the washing machine and hugged the sides while her beloved "banket" was being washed. Her blanket was so silky, so I gave her one of my half slips to hold until the wash/dry was complete. Would have been better if the color was the same, but at least it helped! :)
Yes, Johnathan's future wife will especially love this picture one day! So cute!

Anonymous said...

That picture is so sweet! And that blanket looks really comfortable--where can I get one for myself? :)

Elizabeth said...

That looks like one of Ashlyn's blankets. What a cute picture! I'm not afraid to say that I still have that blanket that I hugged the washer for. It's now Carter's blanket that he sleeps with!

Anonymous said...

Hey, pink is IN for guys these days! He's really stylin'!

Kristi Petrak said...

He looks so sweet!!!

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, I remember your blanket was a "non-negotiable" item back in the day. I think it is sweet that Carter is using your blue, nylon blanket!

Kimberly, Johnathan also did pretty well when you visitied (but the blanked didn't make the trip)and he borrowed my V.S. robe that had the same texture as his blanket!

Kim Hodges said...

Ha, ha! That's right, Mom!

Hmmm ... that too was pink. Where was the camera?!

Anonymous said...

H-m-m-m-m-m, V.S., huh? He's learning early! :)