Monday, July 30, 2007

Talkin' to God

We were about to say our prayers as I was putting to Johnathan to bed last night. Now, we've been having an interesting issue recently with Johnathan not wanting to "talk to God." He'd say, "I don't want to talk," or "Not tonight, Mommy." What am I supposed to do with that? This is not another chore like putting toys away. It's an honor to be able to talk to God! Johnathan doesn't seem to understand that right now.

Anyway, he says, "You say the prayer, Mommy." I said, "Okay, how 'bout I say one and then you say one." Okay, he agreed to that. So I said a little prayer and something about "thank you for the blessings you give us like our family, our friends," etc. And I finish up, "... Amen. Okay, your turn." So he starts, and the rest of the dialogue goes something like this:

J: "Dear God ........ and Mommy and Daddy an-"

K: "Don't forget the 'thank you' part."

J: "Fanku for Mommy and Daddy ... and the blessings"

pause

J: "I don't want to say 'the blessings.'"

K: "That's okay; you can say your own words."

J: "Fanku for Gallant?"

K: "Yeah! You can thank God for Gallant!" (our horse)

J: "And what else?"

K: "Oh, I know! You can ask God to help Papaw Curtis feel better!"

J, looking up for the first time: "Hey, God? Can you make Papaw Curtis feel better?"

Long pause as Johnathan looks around the room with his eyes, while I force my shoulders to stop their laugh-induced shaking!

Then he looks at me and shrugs his shoulders, confused. And then we had the talk about how God answers prayers.

Whew! Another mommy/son conversation where I feel like I should know all the answers and leave feeling like I know absolutely nothing!

I love my little boy!



PS Papaw did not end up being able to go home last Friday, due to complications with his surgery incision. However, the doctor intends to do another chemo treatment today and shoot for going home tomorrow or the next day. We're very hopeful! Day 32 ...

5 comments:

John, Kisti, Maren & Silas Felps said...

Adorable! One of the last memories I have of Jonathan is him saying, "Bible". I'm sure I've seen him since then, but that sticks out. What a cutie:)

I sure wish you guys were still here. Things have changed so much...Eastside is very different. As you can tell from the blog, we're looking at other places. No definite decisions. But, we do like Woodmen.

I'll be praying for your Papaw. I'm so sorry to hear all that he has gone through.

Take care,
Kisti

PS...Did you take any classes at Archivers?

Anonymous said...

What an honest prayer ..... conversational, like God is right there in the room. I love it! It's also honest to say that sometimes we don't feel very thankful (or we're just too sleepy!) and we need someone else to say the words for us! What a good mom you are as you teach your son to to pray!

Unbiased in my opinion,

XO, Mom

Anonymous said...

Sweet prayer by a sweet boy. We loved seeing you a couple of weeks ago.

Tiffany Rose said...

that poor little boy was not feeling good that day! what a sweet little boy!!! I wish we all lived closer

Anonymous said...

He is such a hoot!! :) How precious!

Reminds me of similar moments with Brenna--wish you were here to teach her such good lessons, too, that we sometimes forget to share!