Wednesday, July 11, 2007

So how do I handle personal stress?

My mind has been consumed with Papaw. This morning he had a setback. He tried to sit up, and when he did, the bottom of his surgery incision broke and fecal matter came out. We don't know what caused it--whether the surgeon nicked it while he was in there, or if the cancer is eating through already. Needless to say, Papaw is miserable and now has this new infection. He'll be having a CT scan this afternoon, and I'm anxious to hear the results.

So I have cooked and cleaned like a maniac this week. We had a pork roast with rolls and all the "fixin's," including brownies with Reece's baking pieces in them Monday night. Tuesday night we had company to eat the shish-ka-bobs I suddenly needed to make. Then we stayed up with them until 11pm playing Settlers! Today I have rearranged our living room including dusting and redoing the entire bookshelf. It's like I can't sit still.

To add to it, Kalleigh has a fever today. A little over 101. No rash, and really no other symptoms other than a very slight runny nose--all clear. Mom thinks it's her ears. She said it sounded exactly like what I would get when I had ear issues. I'm wondering if the pacifier at night adds extra pressure on her ears making her more susceptible to ear infections. Anyone know?

I'm really looking forward to church tonight. I'm in a class specifically for mothers of toddlers, and it's WONDERFUL. It's a classic example of the older women mentoring the younger women. But my emotions are on edge, so I'm going to have to be careful tonight, or I'll lose it! I had missed the past two classes since I was in AR and then on the 4th we had our church party. Everyone will probably be eager to get back in class.

The cookbook is open to a lemon meringue pie that I'd like to try, so that should keep me busy the rest of the afternoon while my children sleep. :)

Thanks to those of you who drop by. It's nice to feel connected to so many of you even when we can't spend as much time together as we'd like!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I wish my stress made me that productive! My house is a filthy disaster zone, we haven't had a decent meal in days, and I'm too spastic to be productive at work. I guess we all handle it differently. :) The good news is that Papaw seems to be doing better. I'm really glad more family is coming in today, and I look forward to seeing you again next week!

Deborah said...

I am just like you. After I left the hospital this afternoon, my first thought was, "I bet Mamaw has ingredients for cookies at her house so I can make them, plus, I'll probably need to give the floors a fresh cleaning..."

I'm staying with Papaw tonight. Looking forward to the time with him. See you tomorrow!!!

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty healthy way to handle stress. When there are things that we cannot control, it's pretty nice to have some mundane tasks to do that we CAN control!

Papaw's brothers (and their wives) were all at the hospital to see him today. They visited, laughed, and reminisced (as if on the front porch) for a couple of hours, prayed together, and with faith and confidence spoke of the future. I thought it was a cathartic event for us all, but I think they were just doing and saying the right thing and that was very natural for them. It was pretty special -- not dramatic or contrived, but just the right thing at the right time.

It will do you good to get to spend some time with Papaw tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Hey--I think your mom hit the nail on the head with the stress comment! Plus, too, you obviously already know it helps to stay busy to get your mind on something else! I just wish I was there to eat all of the delicious things you are making! :)

Regarding Kalleigh's fever, I don't know if it's ears or teeth or what, but Brenna's pediatrician had told us that increased fluid build up, like they can get from teething, can tend to harbor more bacteria or whatever & that's what caused her to have so many ear infections (in his opinion). It had seemed to us that every time she was getting teeth, she got an ear infection. Anyway, whatever it is, I hope she feels better soon! Wish I could see her! I love the blog idea so I can keep up with hers & Johnathan's growing! Love ya!

Sandi said...

Hey -- I am in Searcy this weekend and would love to see you AND Deborah, if she's here, but I totally understand if you aren't able because you just need to be with family. I love you guys and am praying for your family.

Nicole said...

Stress-cleaning is sometimes a beautiful thing...

On the ear note, Breadon's ears get sore when he's teething. There are some homeopathic ear drops that I get at Kroger (and I'm sure other places sell them) that you can use on infants and adults. I actually got them for me first when I had a lot of drainage and they rock! They also make some teething tablets that also seem to really help.