Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The redo, the birthday and the anniversary

I just haven't been home, okay?

Today was the first day I've checked blogs in about two weeks. I should be cleaning house. I'm not.

We have been having so much fun! Two weeks ago tomorrow, the kids and I headed to Mom's for a week to help redo her bedroom and bathroom. The project was a huge success and Mom and I got a lot of good visit time in while we were painting! I forgot to take "before" pics, but here are the "after" pics:

Just imagine flowery pink wallpaper with a pink ceiling. I'd say this is a big improvement!


This pretty furniture belonged to Great-Grandma Curtis.


Mom had someone come in to replace the counter top and mirror, but I refinished the cabinet! It used to be a lovely country blue! I painted it dark brown and brushed a light coat of metallic copper on top to match the new handles and knobs! The guy still hasn't been back to finish the mirror ...


The project wore us all out. :)

Thankfully the kids drove home so I could sleep.

I think the quote of the weeks goes to Johnathan. The conversation between him and Mom went sort of like this:

Johnathan: Look Nana! I can wink one eye! (demonstrates)
Nana: Good job! You know, you need to be careful with all that winking. If you wink at a girl, she might think you want her to be your girlfriend! So you might not want to be winking at girls!
Johnathan, totally serious: Oh, okay. So only boys?

We got back last Tuesday, had gymnastics that night, church the next, with Jonas's birthday party to follow, and Thursday night the band sang at KE Cellars. The days were filled with laundry and errands!

Yes, Jonas's birthday! Hard to believe it's been a year! We celebrated with the Deans, who have unofficially adopted my kids as their grandkids. :)

This is what happens when you decorate a ball-shaped cake in a 78 degree house with 100% humidity.


Jonas figured out the drill pretty quickly!


Ta-Da!



J. C. & Terry with the two older kids. Johnathan's attempt at a sly grin.


The fam.

Friday, we drove to Dallas to celebrate our 9-year anniversary! We dropped the kids off at Dad's for the evening (thank you!!) and went downtown to eat at Wolfgang Puck's restaurant called Five-Sixty up in the Reunion Tower. It was beautiful and the food was fabulous!

The view from our table.


I'm always impressed by the food presentation! My salmon was SO good.


My handsome date!



When we were checking out of our hotel Saturday morning, Danny called us to see if we could sing at Breakers (the amazing new seafood place I've mentioned before) THAT NIGHT. Sure!

Of course we had to get back to Tyler for a quick Clearly Vocal rehearsal where we sang for an engaged couple in whose wedding we'll be singing in another month or so.

As soon as we finished there, we rushed the kids home with the babysitter, changed back into the clothes we had worn the night before at Five-Sixty, loaded up our instruments and rushed back into town to Breakers. We sang from about 6:30 until MIDNIGHT. There was a big crowd the whole time and people still there when we left!

The table of people right in front of us was especially animated and shot requests at us all night. After we finished we found out that they were the parents of the owner! They told us that they really enjoyed us, so we'll be back in a couple of weeks!

This morning I went on my last run with Kristin before she and her family move to Rwanda tomorrow. I'm sure going to miss her!

I'll try to be better about keeping all of you faithful readers updated as we get started with school and ... and ... KINDERGARTEN!

5 comments:

Aunt Donna said...

Oooh, fun update! Thanks for all the pictures. I can't wait to see the room redo in person. :)

Rachel said...

Wow, what an update! I'm very impressed with how much you crammed into 2 weeks. :) I'm glad you were able to take a break from the remodel for that lunch at the farm!

Carol J said...

A soft sheer chocolate brown curtain has been less-than-artfully draped over the windows in the Bed and bathrooms. You can come back and make them look pretty! It was FANTASTIC having you here!

Britney said...

LOL at Carol's conversation - I hope he's back to winking at girls again! : )

KINDERGARTEN - when did that happen? It CAN'T be time for that already...

Unknown said...

I thought Clearly Vocal was an acappella group??

Sounds like fun! Didn't know that you were good friends with the family moving to Rwanda. You remember that the Koonces were my teammates in Togo? Small world.