Saturday, August 15, 2009

Johnathan & Mommy Date

I learn so much from my blogging cousins. From house decorating to fun kid projects, photography to gardening, new ideas, new recipes, new jobs, new homes ... thanks guys!

This was one of those great ideas that I thought I'd copy. Johnathan and Mommy Date Night. It's where just the two of us go out and buy school supplies and eat wherever he wants.

So we printed out our list, dressed up and went. Johnathan picked an Indiana Jones outfit and I wore khaki pants, a blue halter and a multi-strand necklace. Johnathan, being my little fashion police, noticed that my pants were just like his and he liked that. While in the car, though, he suddenly asked if I was wearing a shirt because he couldn't see any back or sleeves. I thought, "Who are you? My dad?!" Later he looked at my necklace and said, "Mommy, that's too many necklaces." Thanks, kid. What's high school going to be like?!

Wal-Mart was our first stop and had everything but the right kind of glue and the #2 pencils. They were sold out of both. Johnathan also wanted a Star Wars backpack, but Wal-Mart didn't have that either. I told him we could look at Target when we went to get the other school supplies. But we were hungry, so we decided to go eat supper and finish shopping later.

Of all the places in Tyler we could've gone, Johnathan chose McDonald's. No matter how much I told him how good the food at Breakers was, we still went to Mickey D's. I had to remind myself that this evening was for him, not me. :)

Then we hit Target, where we found the pencils, but not the glue or the Star Wars backpack.

So we headed to Michael's where we found the glue, but of course not the Star Wars backpack.

Next door to Michael's is Big Lots. It's hit or miss there. They had some pretty cool Batman backpacks, but that would not do.

We crossed the street to Toys R Us. Success! We found the Star Wars backpack there. Plus they were having a "buy 1 backpack, get 1 lunchbox free" sale, so we grabbed a Star Wars lunchbox as well.

Then we finished the night off at Braum's and each got a junior cone; chocolate for Johnathan and chocolate almond for me.

On the way home I asked Johnathan what his favorite part of the night was. He listed every single thing we did! I guess that means he had a good time!

So did I, little man. So did I!

9 comments:

Aunt Donna said...

What a fun evening, and I liked the way you documented everything. What a memorable way to start the school year!

And when you mentioned Brahm's, I got a little misty-eyed and nostalgic. :)

Rachel said...

LOL, I love your little fashion policeman! :)

Carol J said...

What a fun evening! For a 5 year old, his observation skills and attention to detail are remarkable!

Britney said...

Aw, that's sweet! I have a friend who does this date night as well; she'll be going on her 4th and final date this week! : )

Amanda said...

Sounds like a fun idea! I'm sure Johnathan will remember it for years to come!

Aunt Kathy said...

Just catching up after several weeks of traveling, so I was glad to see the posted pictures of the remodel, and the account of your 9th anniversary date (Really, 9 years??!), and the sweet pictures of your babies. Love the account of school shopping too. How come, they start putting school things out July 1st and how come people buy it that early? I know at my house it would all be well used and abused by the time school actually started. Take care. Love you all!

Chelsea Rambin said...

Such a great idea. Next year you can order your school supplies at the end of school then just go out and have a fun date.

I love that he asked you if you had a shirt on...you know Silas' fondness for all things booby!

Deborah said...

YEA!! I was so sad that I didn't get to do my annual school supply shopping date with the boys this year. I guess we had a little bit going on...

You've inspired me to still have a date-night with each of the boys however, once we are more settled.

Wanna meet me for lunch sometime?? Terrell?

Kristi Petrak said...

What a sweet night!! Great idea. Johnathan cracks me up with his comments!! He's the ultimate realist. Where does he get that, I wonder?? ^_^