Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Confessions

I'm pretty cynical about this Hallmark-induced day that makes people skip church or else his wife will kill him. Guilt-ridden and manipulative are words that might even be used. Not to mention those without sweethearts. Let's just take a day to rub it in that you're single.

I confess that one Valentine's Day in high school, a friend and I were going around singing our scheduled telegrams on Harding's campus. We finished our list, but did not want to go back to class. So, we would stop random people on campus and say that "that guy over there wanted us to sing a telegram for you." "What guy?" she would ask. "That guy ... where did he go? I bet he's hiding." We would then proceed to sing numerous false telegrams until we had missed the rest of the school day.

I confess that one Valentine's Day I went on a date with a guy knowing full well that our relationship was coming to an end and I planned to break up with him in the near future ... but wanted the chocolate shake. Even worse, I gave him a card with the top ten reasons I loved dating him. Date from VDay '96, if you happen to read this ... I'm so sorry! That was a cowardly thing to do.

Sometimes VDay brings out the worst in me.

HOWEVER:

I need days like these that help remember how blessed I am and not to take my husband for granted! We've shared 8 Valentine's Days together now, and I am so thankful for him! For his leadership in the church and in our home. For his faithfulness first to God and then to me and our family. For his gentleness and tenderness as a father. For his longing to learn and grow. For so many more things that I don't have words to describe! I love you, Honey.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet tribute to John. Happy V-Day to you both!

Elizabeth said...

That's a sweet picture of you and John.

Anonymous said...

What a good looking couple! Keep on loving each other. I am so impressed as I watch you two compliment and nurture one another.

Deborah said...

You guys are the greatest couple--I knew it from the start!!

Kristi Petrak said...

that's a great picture of you two!! How sweet. Love you both!!!