Sunday, February 25, 2007

"OK to Test"

Warning: Sermon to follow ... couldn't get it out of my head

When we were in CO, I substitute taught for a middle school English teacher for a week while she was having surgery. One of the classes was called "Novels." All the kids did was read books the entire class period. I thought this was incredibly ridiculous, but in hindsight I learned a thing or two. One was that if I had been in a class like that, I might be more excited about reading these days. The other had to do with their accelerated reading program. I'm actually not even sure exactly how it works, but whenever any student would reach a certain level in his reading, he would come up to me and have me write "OK to test" in the appropriate blank. Then he would go to the library, be tested and return to continue reading until he reached the next level.

So, is that how it worked with Job? He reached a certain spiritual level and God wrote "OK to test" on him for all, including Satan, to see? Yikes!

Maybe God could just whisper to me that I'm okay to test and then give me the answers to all the questions. I mean, does He really have to let everyone know if/when I'm "OK to test?"

I have a friend whose family just seems to be tested over and over with injury and illness and random misfortune. She called just the other day to let me know of a couple more things to add to their prayer list. She and her family are so special to me and are a strong pillar in their church and school. When we talked, I said to her, "Well, if God doesn't give us anything we can't handle, He must think pretty highly of you!"

These words in James are an encouraging reminder that our struggles only help us to grow: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

No comments: