Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Surprise! Jonas Dean is here!

Jonas Dean Hodges
Born: August 5, 2008
Weight: 9 lbs, 10 oz
Length: 21 3/8 in
Head circumference: 14 cm

The story:

Tuesday morning, August 5--our 8th anniversary. We were still in bed just before 8 am. I rolled over and said, "Happy Anniversary!" and wondered where we would go eat that night while the kids were at VBS. John got up first and then I rolled back over and--POP! It felt like Jonas had just kicked really hard, except it was down low, so it couldn't have been his feet. And then I felt my legs getting wet. Oh boy. As I got up and waddled to the bathroom, amniotic fluid continued to run down my legs! "Towels! My water broke! We're having a baby today!" I yelled to John as I climbed in the tub (the one I had just cleaned while nesting last weekend). No contractions yet.

I called my midwife and told her that my water had broken, and yes I was sure. She said that she would head to the birth center and get the jaccuzi started, since I wanted a water birth. She also said that I had ten hours to go into labor on my own. Otherwise, I would need to go to the hospital and be induced due to the risk of infection. I was to call her when the contractions started.

The phone calls started. I was just sure Mom would be able to make this one since I hadn't even started contracting. She left work immediately, ran home and packed for a week and was on the road by 9am.

Danny came by the house around 9:15 bearing gifts of donuts and milk to wish us good luck. I figured it was my last chance to eat whatever I wanted.

Then at 9:30 the contractions started. I could still talk through them, though, but they were progressing. Yea! I was going into labor!

I let my midwife know and she said that I could come on in whenver I felt like it. I told her that we'd take our time getting our stuff together, since the contractions still weren't too bad, and then we'd come on in after dropping the kids off at J.C. and Terry's. We dropped Johnathan and Kalleigh off at 11 am and headed to the birth center.

I had talked to my good friend, Chelsea just the day before (we had taken our kids swimming) about the possibility of her being there at the birth center with me whever I went into labor, at least until Mom got there. Well, here it was, the next day, so she met us there with gifts and camera in tow.

I was at 5 cm when my midwife, Vicky, checked me around 11:15. We agreed that it woulc be best to wait to get in the water until I was a little further along so the contractions wouldn't slow down. At that point, my contractions were coming every five minutes and growing steadily stronger, but still not totally unbearable ... until about 12:40. Then there was a significant change in the intensity and duration of each contraction. I wanted to be checked again because I wanted to get in that water ASAP! Sure enough I was at "at 8, maybe a 9," and I headed to the pool.

The water was perfect and it felt wonderful. I was in the pool about five minutes before I said, "I need to push!" Vicky said, "Great! Let's do it!" And I started pushing. Whew, that was hard work! But the end was so close! And I just kept on pushing! His head was hard for me to get out, partly because his right fist was up by his cheek, but finally, oh finally, he came on out of there. I pulled him up to me and was overwhelmed with emotions of love, pride, relief and sheer bliss! John cut cord and we just relaxed for awhile before I got out of that wonderful water.

I didn't need any stitches, I didn't have any IV, I got to go home 3 1/2 hours later. I LOVED this whole experience!! If we have another, and that's the plan at this point, I will definitely do it that way again, assuming everything goes well, of course.

Chelsea got some great pictures, so enjoy the slide show! (Some pics are sideways. Just didn't have time to edit them ALL!)

26 comments:

Hope said...

Congratulations Kim! I'm so glad you got to have a water birth! I delivered several "water babies" on one of my rotations and will definitely have my babies that way if I can help it. :) You have a beautiful family!
-Hope Huckeba

Jennifer said...

What a great story! It sounds like a dream delivery. He is a beautiful baby. Congratulations to your whole family!

Jennifer said...

AWESOME!! Funny that your first two comments are by CNMs! We love it when our friends have those wonderful births that we wish we could grant any one of our patients! I'm so glad it went so smoothly! What a big boy. I'd say he came at EXACTLY the right time. He knew what his REAL due date was! Congrats, Kim and family!! Enjoy!

Jennifer said...

Ok, another Jennifer snuck her comment in before I entered. So, your first and third comments by CNMs. :-)

holly said...

Thanks for telling us the story! This sounds almost...pleasant! Beautiful baby, gorgeous mom, and I'm glad you got to do it as planned. You must be happy to have him here!

Amanda said...

I am so glad everything went well, and he was early! I guess now you have the trick of going into labor early like me. :) He is a big beautiful boy! how do Kalleigh and Johnathan feel about their little brother? I may try the water birth method of we have another- you have inspired me. :)

Nicole said...

Wow! What a big boy!!! And I'm so envious of the water birth experience; I've heard it's great and would condsider it next time if I didn't HAVE to have a c-section. Inquiring minds want to know: how the sibs handling his arrival. Especially the "big" sis?

John, Kisti, Maren & Silas Felps said...

He's precious, Kim! That was the most beautifully natural birth story I've ever heard. I'm so excited for you! Blessings to all of you!
Love,
John, Kisti & Maren

Anonymous said...

I tried to leave a comment earlier, but blogger wouldn't let me, so here goes again. He is beautiful and you all look like a super happy family. Nana looks pretty AND happy too. :) We can't wait to meet Jonas.

Megan said...

What a woman! Congratulations. I can't believe you could blog so soon about it. That is a testimony in and of itself for people to want to do it that way. :) I love his name. I know someone near Searcy that is just beaming with pride b/c of that middle name.

Rachel said...

He is precious! I am so glad you had a great birthing experience!!! Congrats!!

Amy said...

WOW! I am blown away! So impressed that you had a 9 lb. baby naturally and got to go home the same day. Aubrey's almost 2 months and I'm still on dr. restrictions! You are officially my hero! Congrats again!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations - and born on your anniversary! He's already stealing your thunder! :) So glad you had a wonderful birthing experience. And getting a 9-10 baby out without a c-section is pretty remarkable. You're my hero! :)

Kristi Petrak said...

Yea Kim!! Wow, that water birth thing sounds really cool the way you tell it. Of course, you didn't talk about pain...granted, you already did this one time w/o epidural. Glad you had such a wonderful experince. I'm so happy for you and love you!! ^_^

Sascha Terry said...

Congratulations Hodges Family!

We are so happy for you guys. Jonas is a beauty little boy - he will fit is great with the rest of the gang. You are in our thoughts.

Take care,
Sascha

PS - I think my Jennifer is the first one up there!

Anonymous said...

Another precious nephew! Jonas is adorable & all of the pictures are FABULOUS! What a great story of a smooth delivery! Praise GOD! Can't wait to meet him in person! Love y'all!

Shelley said...

Yeah, Kim, Congratulations! I am so happy for you all. I cannot believe how you delivered. I am amazed!!! I am so thankful that you had a good, smooth experience and everyone is healthy. Praise the Lord for another beautiful baby!!!

Daisha said...

And it looks like you didn't even break a sweat. Your the woman, Kim.

-Daisha

Jina Hinson said...

I LOVE WATEER BIRTH!

(Sung to the tune of 'I love Rock-n-Roll', of course! :)

What a great day and birth experience! Many congratulations and blessings to you and your growing family!

Love you!

Elizabeth said...

I'm glad it went so well! Way to go, Kim! He is so cute...congratulations to you and John!

Deborah said...

Wow! He's a WHOPPER! And you are some kind of woman. Congratulations, Kim and John--he's beautiful. I am so glad you had a great delivery and a healthy baby. Praise God!

Cheryl said...

Congratulations!!! Do you realize that you were expecting Kalleigh when we left last time and that this time we will meet both her and Jonas for the first time!!! You have been busy, girl!!!
We are so happy for you and look forward to holding this new treasure.

mamallama said...

Ok, Kim...He is just beautiful! Isn't GOd amazing. Congrats to you both!

Anonymous said...

I'm leaving a late blog, so you might not realize it's here until much later, but just had to add my congratulations and love and wish you all God's blessings to continue. Jonas is beautiful! And you are too, Kim.

Tiffany said...

So I'm a little late, but congratulations! I am so happy for your growing family!

Tiffany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.