Saturday, August 09, 2008

Reflections after four days

I just wanted to jot down some thoughts before I forget what's been running through my mind during this precious time ...

I love the newborn phase. It's amazing how quickly it goes by! I'm really trying to enjoy every second. Every squirm, squished up face, squeak and squirt! Watching his face as he studies the new world around him. His legs all tucked up under him when he sleeps or when I hold him, because that's how he had been for the last several months. The wrinkles on his head. The "little old man" hair on the back of his head. The arms that he has no idea what to do with. The "pecking" when he's hungry. The trembling of his chin when he cries. The tiny hands and feet and everything else.

Nursing--what an amazing thing to be able to sustain the life of this infant. There is no other bonding like it! The sweet noises he makes when he eats. The full-body crunch when he latches on. The wide eyes when getting a big gulp of milk for the first time. The way he looks up at me. The feet tickling when he's falling asleep. The midnight gassy grins that only I see. The drunken milk face when he's all full. Even the bags of frozen milk in the freezer. This newborn phase is the only time I'll see that!

That's all for now. I just want to remember.

My boys. :)

8 comments:

Amanda said...

I love all of those things! I was remember them as I was reading what you wrote. It is certainly a wonderful thing to nurse your child, I wasn't able to with Hailey, but I have been with Micah, and it is so amazing how God planned everything so perfectly with it. Enjoy! I miss you all! :)

Rachel said...

What a sweet photo of your boys!! I too love the newborn phase and miss it a lot!

Deborah said...

That is so sweet! I love that you wrote this down.

Jina Hinson said...

These days truly do go by at warp speed. Savor, savor, savor! Many hugs to you and yours!

Anonymous said...

What a precious remembrance! I wish I had written that about Brenna! She is an angel now but how I miss those newborn days, too! Anyway, I love the picture of the boys!! You guys are capturing great moments! Can't wait to see you all! Love ya!

Kristi Petrak said...

I love this post. I so love this picture of your family! Thanx again for calling today! You are so sweet. Love you, and bless you as you adjust to three children! Love you! ^_^

Jennifer said...

Congratulations, Kim! What a precious gift! I'm thrilled for your family :)

Anonymous said...

So sweet. Beautiful thoughts. I can relate to every one of them. How about that grin and cutting those eyes up at you while they are still latched on? That will be later for Jonas Dean, but I love that one!