Thursday, May 22, 2008

The gash

It's one of those times where you have to make the call ... do I go or do I stay? If I go, is to the ER or the doctor? And if I go, what 12 things have to be done before I can just drop everything and go? It's a logistical nightmare. Oh, plus your child's head is bleeding. Quick! Make a decision!

We decided to stay, and I think it was the right choice. Here's the story:

On Tuesday, Johnathan was taking his afternoon nap. Well, he was supposed to be sleeping, but that's another story. Kalleigh had already woken up from hers and was playing nicely on her own. I was at the kitchen table going through the mail. I heard her climb up on the little stool in their bathroom and say, "Boo!" over and over. I went in to check on her and she was playing "Peek-a-boo" with herself in the mirror. Pretty cute. I smiled to myself and headed back to the kitchen.

A few more "Boo!"s and then I heard the stool move suddenly, then a THUD, then much screaming. "Aww, that'll leave a nice bump," I thought.

When I got in there, her poor little feet were still propped up on the stool and she was lying on her back on the floor with her head against the wall. I scooped her up and immediately felt for the knot. Good, there it was. Better out than in. :) We got the "Boo Bunny" (the washcloth that is shaped to look like a bunny that wraps around a piece of ice to put on the "boo-boo") and I held that against the knot for awhile.

I noticed that her diaper was soaked, so I took her into her room to change her. As I laid her down on the changing table, I noticed that there was some blood on my hand and arm and a little smudged on her leg, too. "What in the world?" I thought. I hadn't seen any blood in the bathroom. Maybe she bit her lip? But no; that wasn't it. I didn't see anything else immediately, so I finished changing her.

When I picked her up, there was a nice approximately 4"x 2" area of blood where her head had been. Yikes! I turned her around, and sure enough, there on the back of her head was a nice big area of matted hair that had mixed with the blood, but had all but stopped the bleeding. I took her in and tried to wash the blood out of her hair so I could see the wound better.

And there it was. The gash was open about an eighth of an inch and was close to 3/4 of an inch long. I even measured it with a ruler! There was no way I would be able to keep that together with all that hair. But again, the bleeding had almost stopped and I couldn't see the skull or anything, plus she was starting to calm down and her pupils were normal--no concussion.

We had come to the decision point. To go or not to go. What do you do? Call Mom! Mom has had a few experiences with head wounds, mostly Kreg's. From him walking into a swinging baseball bat to falling down an elevator shaft and needing staples, Mom was the one to call. In an attempt to avoid sounding panicked, I unnaturally calmly explained the situation. We agreed that if I took her in, they would probably put a couple of stitches in, but that the trauma of the whole ordeal probably would have been worse than the trauma of having a scar on the back of her head. Mom talked a little to Kalleigh on the phone, which helped her calm down a little, too. Yea for Nana!

Kalleigh has been an absolute trooper through this whole mess. Thankfully, it doesn't seem to bother her one bit, and she's doing totally fine.

Here's a picture of the wound about 28 hours after it happened.



I never found any blood in the bathroom, which seemed strange to me. The wall by the bathtub sticks out a bit, so I think she must've hit her head on the shoe molding that comes to a point the corner of that wall. But still, no blood? Weird.

Another crazy day in the life of a toddler!

7 comments:

Nicole said...

For what it's worth, I think I would have done exactly the same thing. (although, don't they have goop now that they seal it with instead of actual thread?) Might be handy to know when she decides to parachute with a sheet or something...

Emily said...

I feel your pain! Amelia got a giant goose egg on her forehead last week after falling off her stool, and it stuck out so far Bryan was calling her a unicorn!

Anonymous said...

Bless her heart! XO, mom

Anonymous said...

Poor baby!!! She's lucky to have a level-headed mom like you to handle the situation so well!! Hope she heals quickly!

Anonymous said...

Hope she is feeling better! And I think I would have done the same thing you did.

Stephanie said...

Horray for grandmothers! I hope she's feeling better.

Rachel said...

Things like that are more scary for Moms than I think for them! Glad everything turned out well and she is healing nicely!