Friday, March 23, 2007

It's a bigger deal than we'd hoped ...

Bison had a terrible night. Lots of throwing up, some diarrhea. Not good. So he spent all day at the vet while they ran a Barium series that included 6 x-rays. They also gave him IV fluids since he was so dehydrated. The vet decided that there's a 75% chance that it is indeed the half of the cheese stick wrapper that is stuck in his stomach and causing his pain. So he sent Bison home with meds for me to give 3x per day that will hopefully help him pass the plastic rather than having to go in surgically. The vet said that it would help if Bison could eat some of the soft, bland food he had sent home with us yesterday. However, Bison still refuses to eat anything. I even warmed it up and mushed at all up ... nothing.

Did you know you can give dogs Pepto? Yeah, you give them a child's dose and it helps to calm the lining of the stomach just like in humans. The vet said I could give Bison some to ease his stomach cramping and help it relax so that maybe he could eat and help pass that wrapper. So I tried. A big pink mess later, I think I managed to get most of it down him and the rest of it on me. Gross. It has seemed to help, though. No throwing up since, so far.

I'm nervous about the rest of the weekend since the vet is closed until Monday am. I really hope that this medicine works and that we won't need surgery. That would really stink.

Here's a picture of him when I brought him home:



He's actually doing a little better and was up walking around toinght. He hadn't done that all day, according to the vet! Maybe it's just good to be home!

Assuming everything goes okay through the weekend, we'll go back in Monday am to see how things have gone. (Hopefully they've gone all the way out by that time!)

Okay, I've had my sob story about my dog. Those who choose not to own pets, please choose to use self-control and refrain from comments like the one you're all thinking, "That's why I don't have pets!" It's okay for you to think that, but to say it ... well ... it might just hurt my feelings. However, my Discover knows you have a point!

PS John's doing great. He's a little sore, of course, but he did head out to the men's retreat this evening. Amazing!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, I totally understand! My furry children mean a lot to me!! It makes you want to cry knowing they are hurting and they can't tell you what's wrong! :( I hope he gets better soon!

Tiffany Rose said...

I TOTALLY understand! I'm so sorry. A sick dog is NO FUN! When Bohdi had parvo in December I cried through the whole day. Good News though today (only 3months later) I paid off the last of the "Bohdi Bills". Bison may feel better in a week or so, but get ready for a "sick" bank account!! Maybe you'll have "Bison Bills"!! The bills are TOTALLY worth it!

Deborah said...

Awwwww! I am so sorry to hear about Bison. Keep us updated. Abe went through a spell like that a couple of years ago, only to discover he was allergic to all kinds of cat food except a special one made for sensitive stomachs (read: mucho denero). So, we know about forking over the dough for our furry babies. And, yes, I think it's worth it too. They provide so much joy to me (and even to Pat, but he would never admit it!). Plus, our kids know how to treat animals when we go to other people's houses--that's priceless!

Hope your little furry guy gets better.

Anonymous said...

Poor baby Bison! I'm so sorry. I relate to the worry about the pet that you love and to the worry about the finances. It can be daunting! You expect to do whatever it takes for kids and loved ones...but it's a little harder to swallow when it's a, however much loved, pet. Of course, this is coming from a gal who was raised on a farm where life and death for animals was expected. I still remember holding baby kittens that were sick and being very sad knowing they probably weren't getting better. And then there's that episode where Clarissa (the pet wild duck) was accidently shot and ended up on the dinner table! It truly was an accident, but traumatic, nontheless.:)

Deborah said...

Clarissa, the duck....I'm still laughing about that. Sorry, Aunt K...to laugh about your little pet.

Pat had cows named Cinderella and Samantha and he had chickens named Bo, Luke, Batman, and Robin--oh, farm life!

John, Kisti, Maren & Silas Felps said...

We feel your pain, Kim! Hope Bison recovers well, and without anything too invasive!
I still crack up when I remember them running laps around my kitchen, while pushing their food bowls, devouring their food! They are hilarious dogs:)