Monday, October 12, 2009

T-5 days until the Big Race

Saturday is the Tyler Half Marathon. And I'm running it.

I never thought I would be able to do something like that, and yet here we are. Of course I've never run that far in my life, so perhaps I should save the celebrating until AFTER I finish, that is, assuming I do!

People that know what they're doing when it comes to stuff like this have told me that to be ready, I should be able to run 10 miles about 2 weeks before the race, and then start tapering off my mileage to be good and rested before I do 13. Well that would've been great back at the end of August when I had gotten up to 9.3 pretty comfortably. And then my foot started hurting. A lot.

"Plantar Fasciitis — The most common condition of heel pain. This condition occurs when the long fibrous plantar fascia ligament along the bottom of the foot develops tears in the tissue resulting in pain and inflammation. The pain of plantar fasciitis is usually located close to where the fascia attaches to the calcaneous, also known as the heel bone. Correctly pronounced it is 'plantar fash-eee-eye-tiss'." -- plantar-fasciitis.org.

The proper treatment? Ice, rest, Ibuprofen and cutting back on mileage. Nice. So, I tapered off. It just happened to be in September.

I'm back up to 8.5, which I ran this morning and it felt pretty good. So I think the 13.1 will be doable, that is, I think I will finish. I may feel terrible, but I will finish, and that is a good thing.

But that's not all! Between Group Therapy and Clearly Vocal, we have FIVE gigs in three days. Two on Thursday, one on Friday and two more on Saturday, AFTER the race. Sunday is, well Sunday for a minister's family, so I plan to eat whatever I want and sleep on Monday. That's just one week from today!

If you had asked me yesterday how I felt about this, and some did, I would have told you that I'm dreading it.

But not today. I'm refusing to be anxious about it any more. It's a waste of time. These are things I LOVE to do, so I'm just going to take it one step at a time (literally!) and have a BLAST!

On your mark, get set, GO!

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

You'll do great! You're an inspiration!

Cathy said...

I think you're a great inspiration to me. For someone who has only "very recently" gotten up to 3/4 mile "walking" I can only say, "way to go" and my thoughts will be with you. I've also had the plantar fascitis, Jonathon Hosch is a great podiatrist!! I know you'll do great and finish in style.

Elizabeth said...

I'm excited for you! You will do great!

John, Kisti, Maren & Silas Felps said...

You'll do great! I'm so excited to hear the results:)

LePage Family said...

You are gonna do great! I know your determination. Good Luck! Can't wait to hear how it went!

Jina Hinson said...

Wish I could be there along the course to cheer you on!! So proud of you--you will finish and you will do well, Kim...that's the individual and athlete that you are. Go for it!!

Rachel said...

You will do wonderful! We will be praying that the Lord takes away your foot pain for the race!

Aunt Donna said...

Uncle Mike had the plantar fasciatis too, and I got him some inserts to go into his shoes. Made all the difference in the world. Did you get some?

Rachel said...

So exciting! I can't wait to hear how it goes--good luck!! :)