Monday, December 04, 2006

Broken Arm

Mothers of boys all know it's bound to happen sooner or later. It happened to Johnathan on Wednesday morning.

I was sitting on one end of the couch feeding Kalleigh, and Johnathan was climbing around on the other end. He got up on the arm, which is against Hodges family rules, so I told him to get down. Of course, I couldn't really physically move him, since Kalleigh was attached. I looked away for a couple of seconds, and when I looked back, Johnathan was standing on the arm, facing the couch. Before I could blink, he lost his balance and fell down backwards and put his hands down to catch himself. Now, he falls down ALL the time, and usually it doesn't phase him too much. This time he came around the couch crying and holding his left wrist. I looked at it and tried to determine if it was broken, and couldn't really tell anything other than it hurt him. Then he said he wanted to go lie down. WHAT?? I don't think he's EVER said those words before. Then he changed his mind and wanted to come sit by me on the couch. But when he tried to push up with his hands, he just screamed! Then we put a Nemo Band-Aid on his arm "to help it get better." Unfortunately, Nemo failed miserably. So we headed to the doctor.

John hadn't left for work yet, thank goodness, so we took the whole family to see the doctor. The whole time I was thinking that it probably wasn't broken, that 2-yr-old's arms have so much cartilage in them that surely it wouldn't break from just falling off the couch. Johnathan was a trooper through the whole process. John went in with him for the X-rays while I waited with Kalleigh. Then the doctor came back and told us that it was indeed broken! A "minor displacement," I believe were his words. Basically a hairline fracture of the left radius just right down on the wrist. I was floored! I felt like I had been pretty calm until we knew it was actually broken. Then I was like, "John! You have to hold him! He'll fall down and snap it in half!"

Luckily for us, our pediatrician's office is in a sports medicine building with orthopedic surgeons and all their gear in it, so we didn't have to go anywhere else to have the X-rays or to have his arm casted. Our pediatrician is Dr. Smith, and the orthopedist was saw was Dr. Harris. Johnathan came home sporting his blue cast and saying that he went to see Dr. Smith and Dr. Hair, who put on his "big Band-Aid." :)

During all of this, I had misplaced my camera, so I don't have good pics of the casted arm yet, but I will.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh no, that is too bad.:(

I hope that he gets better soon.

Sandi said...

Oh, my! I live in fear all the time that this is going to happen to Caden!

Anonymous said...

Those couches are dangerous places! I think climbing on the couch is how our Carter broke his arm too.

Stephanie said...

I know my day is coming soon since Jonathan and Hayley are around the same age. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet since she's such a daredevil. Stay tuned to the Schwieter Life...

Elizabeth said...

Yes, that is how Carter broke his arm. He fell off the back of the couch and "caught" himself. So sorry that happened to little Johnathan.

Rachel said...

Yikes! I hope it heals quickly!

Kristi Petrak said...

Like mother like son, eh, Miss Turn over the Jungle Gym and Use it as a See Saw???
Hope he gets better soon. Kiss that arm for me!!!!