Thursday, August 26, 2010

Firsts

First day of school


All three kids are in school this year! Woo-hoo! Johnathan, first grade, of course goes everyday. Kalleigh goes MWF. Jonas just goes MW. Everyone was excited and ready to go! Interestingly enough, in each of my kids' classes there was one or more children crying on that first day. In Johnathan's class, it was the little girl sitting next to him. He whispered to me, "Mommy, what's wrong with her?" Not using this as a lesson in compassion as I probably should've, I said, "I don't know, Baby. Just be nice to her." Similarly, in Kalleigh's class, a child was crying. Kalleigh looked at me and said, "Mommy, she's hurting my ears." Oh, we need to work on that compassion at home! Jonas just ignored the crying kids in his class and went about his business of playing. I'm thankful that my kids are pretty independent. I'm sure this 4th child will be "THAT" child.

And we should be compassionate. Not my strong suit.

It's okay to call your first grade boy "Baby."

Just had to show this comparison of Johnathan and Jonas on their first days at Little People's School. :)



Obviously I had more time for photo editing when Johnathan was 2.

Obviously I had an actual camera when Johnathan was 2.

First time on the Praise Team

Kalleigh "sang" with me on the praise team this past Sunday! Well, we turned her mic off, but she thought she was! I thought it would give her a way to feel more involved and responsible rather than coloring or eating the whole time, which is what we usually do. For the most part, she did great! She got a little tired toward the end and started scratching the top--it just feels so weird, you know--so I'm glad we had it off. :)

First time ever to see a picture like this:


Okay that's a lie. I just think it's so funny when Bison sleeps upside down. Forgive him for his lack of modestly. He just doesn't care.

I doubt you've seen this kind of picture with a Batman Croc in the background.

I always try to have shoes in my pictures. It makes it them so much more real.

First Ladies Bible Class

Our assignment for the first day of LBC was to read the introduction of the book we will be studying this semester. We were also all supposed to bring salads for our salad luncheon. Also, at the beginning of each class, we all meet together for a devotional before we break into our groups for our book study. I was asked to do the first one.

The day before, I remembered one of the three things: my devotional. The night before, after my children had gone to sleep, I remembered the other two: salad and introduction. Introduction, no problem. Got it read. Salad, problem. Kids were asleep (with John out of town) and I have no lettuce, no spinach, no cabbage, no salad-y things of any kind. What do you do when you need the perfect recipe with only the ingredients you have? Go to Mamaw's cookbook, of course! Found it: potato salad. Who cares if I had never made potato salad in my life? If Mamaw says it's good, it's good.

For my devotional, I had decided to share the forward of Mamaw's cookbook. It's a devotional thought for sure as it compares the need for both physical and spiritual food! Then, as I was chopping up my ingredients for the potato salad, I thought, "Why don't I just bag up the separated, pre-measured ingredients and stir this potato salad up while I'm reading the devotional?" Sounded great, so that's exactly what I did.

It was a lot harder than I had originally thought. I was READING, people. I couldn't look at what I was putting into the bowl! Thanks to half-decent peripheral vision and a little luck, I got that thing made about the time I finished reading the forward. The ladies loved it, I plugged Mamaw's book, my salad for the luncheon was made, and I'm done with devo-duty for the semester. :)

Of course, I had to call Mamaw right afterward to tell her all about it!

Hope everyone else's "firsts" of the semester are going well, too!

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh, Kim, what a great idea to use Mamaw's book and make the salad at the same time! For the record, I don't think I've ever attempted potato salad. Love the pictures of the kids. I cannot believe how much Jonas looks like Johnathan!!

Carol J said...

I love how you included Kalleigh on the praise team! Oh, and by the way -- she is not the first PT member to have their mic turned down or completely off! :)

The kids look so happy as they are heading off to school. I loved that time -- shopping for school supplies, first day excitement, and after ballgame/music program celebrations at Dairy Queen.

Good times... :)

Jennifer said...

Your kids are beautiful. When do you find out boy or girl for the 4th one?

Aunt Donna said...

What a great informative post! Loved every word of it. Precious pictures of some VERY precious children -- well, Bison too, but I'm more about the kids than dogs. :) I may have to steal your idea about the devotional/potato salad. Sounds like a winner to me.

Deborah said...

My comment will have bullet points:

~I'm with my mom--I may have to steal your salad-devo idea. BRILLIANT!

~And, I know I've told you this before, but your kids are just GORGEOUS!

~And, I totally get the "no compassion" thing. I struggle with that myself.

~The picture of Kalleigh on praise team looks so much like her Nana. They have the same "singing mouth".

~I love it when you post on your blog!

Glenave Curtis said...

Oh WOW, I loved the pictures of these precious children. It takes a lot to get three (and 4. TeeHee) children ready for school. I am very honored that you used TWO recipes from my book.

Glenave Curtis said...

Oh, and I love it when you blog all this good stuff!

Jina Hinson said...

I love it!!!

Your life is hysterically funny and wonderful to be a part of--thanks for sharing all the 'life' tidbits!!

Kalleigh will be soloing in 6 months, tops. :)

Love you!!

Megan said...

I loved this post. Super witty and fun to read. I just wish we lived closer so I could know your family better! I feel like I do anyways from the pictures=)

Megan said...

Oh and I am with the others. I am borrowing your devo for my small group! Great idea.