Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Girls' Weekend!

This past weekend, Kalleigh and I drove up to Searcy to spend the long weekend with my mom. As you know, Mom is getting married in less than a month, so we had some things to do!

We went to a dinner hosted by one of mom's friends. It was kind of like a shower, except it's like it was just the hostesses there. They gave her a joint gift: A beautiful wall decoration with the end of Joshua 24:15 on it. Kalleigh did her best to be a big girl, but the child took over and she excused herself from the table to go play while the grown-ups visited. ;)

We did a LOT of shopping. Mom has a beautiful dress for her wedding. Of course, two weeks ago, when I hadn't seen it yet, I bought a beautiful dress to wear to the wedding (way on sale!). It was mostly a champagne color, knee-length with shutter pleats. The problem was that when I sent a picture of it to Mom she said, "It's beautiful! It's just like mine!" Oops. We have such similar tastes! So, she was on a mission to buy a new dress for me. Hard to say no to that! And we succeeded. I now have a beautiful black & white summer dress to wear to the wedding, with a great necklace to match!

Kalleigh ended up with two dresses as options for the wedding, as we took advantage of the fabulous Memorial Weekend shopping deals.

We also found several more things that we "really needed." It took us two full shopping days to do it, but we successfully conquered Little Rock.

While we were there, we also did some work on Mom's house. She and Craig plan to sell both of their houses and start together in a new one. Great idea, I think! We got up on the roof and found that there were more than a few leaves and pine needles that needed to be removed from the roof as well as the gutters! We also cut down some limbs that were hanging over the house. I only got wobbly once. :) No injuries, save a small scratch on my hand. It's healing quite nicely, as I'm sure you wanted to know.

And, of course, we had dinner out at the farm with Mamaw. There's just nothing like being out at the farm, and you cousins know exactly what I'm talking about! What a special place.


 After a fabulous dinner (as always, including fresh cherry pie--I died), we spent a couple of hours out on the porch while Kalleigh had a very successful first firefly catching experience. She managed to catch a tick, as well, and rather than being scared or grossed out by it, she was fascinated that he wanted to go home with her! She is my animal lover, for sure!

So, we had so much fun. Kalleigh hardly knew what to do with herself as the only child, but she caught on pretty quickly. ;)


Thanks, Mom, for being you! For teaching us how to play, work, cook and shop like pros! I love you!



PS  *Pearl of Wisdom* Mom sent home our old Slip 'N Slide with us. It's not made for adults. I sure was the coolest mom yesterday afternoon, though! But I can hardly lift my arms today.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, busy weekend! Sounds like you had a blast, though. I LOVE that picture of your hands with the scripture!!!

Megan said...

I LOVE that last picture. How neat. When I went to Searcy for Katy's graduation, Pat told me that your mom was getting married. I am so excited for them! I am glad you got a lot accomplished, and I am sure your mom appreciated the help.

Carol J said...

"...more than a few leaves and pine needles.." I believe this is called "understatement." Thank you for helping make a big task just another fun project!

I am so glad that I get to pass on a rich heritage of shopping techniques! Kalleigh is already in the gifted and talented group in this category! She was such a trooper!

What a fun weekend!

Keleigh said...

Sounds like a great weekend!! We're so excited to be with everyone later this month :) And I just LOVE the 4-generation hands picture! I have one like that with my mom, grandma, and great-grandma! A treasure :)

Shelley said...

I have to tell you the picture of your hands made me cry real tears. I have a picture like that when I got married. I am very close to my mom and memmaw. I have always wanted a little girl to share my love with like my mom has with me. God only gave me boys and I love them more than words can say but that picture touched my heart.

I am so happy for your mom. I wish her all the best. She deserves it!

Aunt Kathy said...

Great post and thougts about your weekend. So glad you and your mom got to spend some good time together. I'm excited abou her wedding and wish I could be there. We will definately be thinking about you all on that day. Love you all!