Sunday, April 20, 2008

"That doesn't match."

So we're at the dinner table eating together as a family. Here's how the conversation went between my son and me:

Johnathan, looking at the platter full of steak: Mommy, is that a bull?
Me: Well, yeah, maybe ... or a cow. It's either a bull or a cow.
Johnathan, now looking at me as if I had just said something completely ridiculous: What? That doesn't match.
Me: What are you talking about?
Johnathan: Like is it a bull or a plate?
Me: Oooohhhhh! A BOWL!
(much laughter from John and me)
Johnathan: Yeah, a bull! (at least that's what it sounded like)
Me: Son, it's a platter. The steak is on a platter. It's neither a bowl nor a plate.
Johnathan: Yeah, that matches.

John and I got so tickled about this conversation later that we were just howling with laughter! Johnathan must have thought I had totally lost my mind! He heard, "It's either a bowl or a cow!" No wonder he gave me such a funny look!

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I love his conclusion that your final statement "matches." So cute!

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Rachel said! Such a cute conversation. Love it!

Deborah said...

This made me laugh out loud. Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he will do will with analogies! What a brilliant child!

Britney said...

That is hilarious! I read the story to Shawn & we both laughed out loud - too cute!

Anonymous said...

OK, this isn't about this post, but I just realized tonight that you have added some samples of your music from "Clearly Vocal" - and they are GREAT!!!! I listened to all the snipets of the songs and now I want a CD!

Shelley said...

I love stories like this. Kids are so precious!

Rachel said...

How great! LOL!!!