Monday, March 03, 2008

Shannon Etheridge Conference ... and Ms. Joan


This past weekend I went to a women's conference/retreat at Pine Cove, a local camp. The guest speaker was Shannon Etheridge, author of the best-selling Every Woman's Battle series. This conference was about her newest book entitled Completely His: Loving Jesus without Limits, which focuses on the bride of Christ/bridegroom relationship we have with Jesus. Our Ladies' Bible Class is studying this book this semester.

Five ladies from Glenwood went: four of us in our 20's & 30's, and then one lady who is 77, Joan. We younger ladies were hoping that Ms. Joan would feel comfortable with us, but none of us had ever really gotten to know her very well. It could be awkward or great. Well, let me tell you that Ms. Joan was hilarious and fit right in! She reminds me of Mamaw, though (as I told Mamaw on the phone this morning) she opted out of the zipline, and I knew Mamaw would've gone on it with me! But she is quick witted, adventurous, and none of us had any idea that she was 77. I was thinking maybe mid-60's? Boy was I wrong! And you know what she and her husband do for a living? Lecture on cruise ships. Now how awesome is that?

The weekend was outstanding, but I think most of all I'm thankful that I got to know Ms. Joan better. I look forward to spending more time with her in the future!

3 comments:

John, Kisti, Maren & Silas Felps said...

What a great experience:) I'm sure Ms. Joan had a hoot with you "girls"! I hope I'm a fun older lady when that time comes;)

As for your comment on my tri, I remember you being a totally fit pregnant gal...actually, I remember you went to the gym and were doing back handsprings and ariels right after you found out about Jonathan! I couldn't do that in my best shape:)

Rachel said...

I love that older ladies can teach us so many things, including that growing old can still be JUST AS MUCH fun as being young! I am so glad that you were able to get to know Mrs. Joan better and had a great weekend. I have heard a couple talks from Shannon Etheridge from this yrs NCYM and she was amazing! I think I need to get her newest book and check it out.

Stephanie said...

Ladies Retreats are awesome, aren't they? Ours is coming up later this month. I can't wait!