Sunday, November 07, 2010

The Fishing Trip

My grandparents, Ted and Evelyn Kell, have been going to Jack's Fishing Resort in Mountain View, AR, for 30+ years. They live in Brownwood, TX, but make the 10-hour trek twice a year. They stay several weeks in the summer and then another couple of weeks in October. It's just another Kell tradition that I have grown to love.


As I've mentioned, John had several conferences this fall, and as good and necessary as they were, I was beginning to feel a little left out on the whole "taking trips without kids" game. So, in my selfishness, I asked John when it would be my turn to take a trip without the kids, and that I would really love to go up to Jack's when Grammie and Papaw would be there and fish and shop and do all the other things I love to do there. In John's graciousness, he said that we could probably work that out. :)

That whole conversation happened before CV was chosen to represent CAL at SoJam. With all the adding in of rehearsals and gigs, I had pretty much given up on making it up to Jack's.

Papaw called me to ask if I was going to be able to make it up there, in code of course, because speaking cryptically is just so much more fun. So, "the Championship Trout Fishing Bureau" called to see if "one Ms. Kimberly Joyce Hodges was planning on competing in that rodeo." Heeheehee. Love my Papaw. I was so sad when I called back to say that I just didn't see any possible way that I would be able to make it up with our crazy schedule and our one-car-ness. We chatted a bit and then he gave the phone to Grammie. While we were chatting, she mentioned that Karla (their daughter, my aunt who lives in Dallas) was thinking they say way--that there just didn't seem to be a way up there and that her window of opportunity was from a Sunday through a Tuesday and because she would have to go alone, it might not work out.

Interesting. We had a gig on Saturday and rehearsal Tuesday night, but no CV commitments in between.

So, I texted Aunt Karla to see if she was still thinking about heading to Jack's. She calls back to say, "Seriously?" As I had, she had just about closed that door and asked God to make it happen if He saw fit. She needed a riding buddy and I needed a ride. It just so happened that our timing was identical!

CV sang at the Golden Sweet Potato Festival that Saturday afternoon and then drove over to Dallas to enjoy P.F. Chang's (what else?) that evening. John dropped me off at Aunt Karla's and drove back to Tyler by himself--what a hubby!

Early Sunday morning, Aunt Karla and I hit the road that would wind us through the Ozarks and finally arrive at Jack's.

The weather was perfect that day. We took a nice walk when we arrived, stretching out our car legs. Then we just relaxed in our room that opened up into Grammie's and Papaw's room and visited with them. That evening we went to church where my great-aunt and uncle go. This is my other Papaw's brother, the Papaw that finished his earthly race a couple of years ago. My Great-Uncle Frank looks so much like his brother, my Papaw! It's like hugging my Uncle Frank is about as closest I can come to hugging my Papaw. So good to see them.

Early Monday morning, Papaw cooked breakfast for me before we bundled up and hit the river. It's those simple times around the table swapping stories that are some of my most favorite times!



It was chilly out on the White River, but we had prepared and stayed warm.






This is "Ship Rock." My iPhone picture just doesn't do it justice, but you might be able to see that as you're motoring up the river, the rock looks like a big ship emerging from the river bank. It's one of those iconic scenes that you look for each time to you go up the river.

We fished that morning, caught a few, and Papaw had me back at Jack's by noon so that I could get cleaned up.

'Cause my mom came up to see us for a late lunch! Eating at Wood's Pharmacy is also a tradition. Wood's is a working pharmacy, but also a soda shop where they have the best lemonade, the best chicken salad and the best chocolate shakes of just about anyone.

After that, we shopped a little, and we all found things that we liked "A LOT" or that we just really "NEEDed!"

Mom headed back to Searcy after the shopping trip, and Grammie, Aunt Karla and I headed back to Jack's to rest a bit before supper.

Supper was at the traditional JoJo's Catfish, there at Jack's. Mmmmmm, so good!

Tuesday morning, Aunt Karla joined Papaw and myself out on the river for just about an hour and a half or so of our last chance to fish. The Lord held off the forecasted rain, for which we were thankful, and we pulled in a few more fish, again, for which we were thankful!





We booked it back to the rooms to get cleaned up, packed up and checked out so that I could make it back to Tyler in time for the tail end of CV's rehearsal.

It was a whirlwind of a trip, but I'm so thankful that it worked out! Aunt Karla and I had some great conversation during our 14 hours in the car together. I'm kind of hoping we can make this happen every year!

I also must mention that while I was gone, John's mother stayed in Tyler and was a HUGE help, not only to John and to the kids, but also to me! When I got home, the laundry was done, beds were made and evidence of healthy eating was left! Amazing, and thank you, Martha, again.

I love spending time with my family. This was such a special trip!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Mountain View, AR

2 comments:

Amanda said...

What a great trip and hubby! I need to read this to Jeffrey, so maybe I could have a little Mommy - kids getaway, too! Was just thinking about your 30th birthday beach trip the other day...and was a wee bit jealous! Glad you're doing well.

Jina Hinson said...

So glad you were able to go and hang with Gram, Papaw, and my amazing sis. What fun for your mom to get to join you!! Only thing missing was ME!!!!!!!!!!!! Must amend and repeat next year! :)