Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Are YOU watching?

The Sing Off: a special 4-episode reality show on NBC similar to Idol. The difference? It's all a cappella! Not your "typical old-school boring a cappella," which is what so many people think when they hear that term, but exciting, new, and all different styles of vocal singing. Oh, the amazing power of the human voice! What a gift!

Here's a clip about the groups competing:



Here are some things that make this competition so special to Clearly Vocal:

  • We know Courtney Jensen, the beatboxer in the all-female group, Noteworty!  She was at SoJam, taught a class, and said she loved hearing us sing! And she's the nicest person in the world.
  • We saw Voices of Lee live in Nashville a year and a half ago when we went to go hear The Real Group. They were some of the college winners at that a cappella competition who opened for TRG.
  • We know Deke Sharon, the main guy who is working with the groups and doing the arranging for the new songs. He arranged the opening act, "Under Pressure!" Deke is the president of the Contemporary A Cappella League, of which CV is a member. Deke went out of his way to compliment us in front of everyone in one of his SoJam classes! We sing several of his arrangements. He sings with the vocal band, The House Jacks.
  • The intro and transition music you hear throughout the show is performed by The House Jacks! They also performed at SoJam and are working with each Sing Off group on their performances.
My biggest concern about the show is that I'm afraid groups are getting voted off because of bad mixing. Several of the judges' comments had to do with not being able to hear the soloist. That's a soundman error! I wondered if the mix we were hearing through the tv was better than what they were hearing live, sitting right in front of them. I could hear the solos just fine.

Yes, of course, Clearly Vocal is dreaming of The Sing Off, 2010. We'd have to learn to bust a move out there, though! That could be a stretch for (some of) us! ;)

Tonight is night two of The Sing Off! I'm so excited! This is a great thing for contemporary a cappella singing!

What do YOU think?

10 comments:

LePage Family said...

I think you guys should go for it! I am so glad to hear that you know people involved with it! I thought the show was amazing and emotional. Can't wait for tonight!!

Rachel said...

I'm definitely watching! I was thinking the same thing about hearing the solos--get a better sound guy! I think it's so funny that a cappella music is such a "novelty." :) You guys should definitely go for it!!

Aunt Donna said...

Go for it CV!! And my prediction for this show -- Nota all the way!

Deborah said...

We are recording/watching too. I immediately thought, "I bet if Clearly Vocal could get some choreography down, they would NAIL this thing!"

I TOTALLY agree with you about the arrangements and sound issues. I think the Lee group probably is a lot better than they came across, simply because the arrangement was very difficult and not conducive to movements.

We haven't seen Tuesday's epsode yet, so we'll probably stay up way too late after church tonight and watch two in a row. The things we do for a quality tv program...

Carol J said...

This is the first show of this kind that I actually find interesting and I am hooked! It is great to hear just vocals! What's the word -- so "organic!"

CV definitely needs to do this -- just so I can see John and Danny "bust a move." :) I have to assume that you learned your dancing skills while you were at Harding! :)

One of the groups reminded me of Six.

Kara said...

I've been thinking of you guys the whole time. It would be so neat to know people on the show like you do. I've been amazed that the groups have been able to leave their usual genres and adapt to more contemporary styles... and sound that "on" every time. I know it's a lot of work.

Oh, and I'd love to hear you beat-box sometime...

Brett, April, Caden, Corban & Eden said...

any chance you people who are recording this could put it on dvds and send it to our team?...i think it's something we would enjoy watching together (i'm sure don understands that!) ;) --a

Craig said...

I love the show! And yet, I, too, heard some of the same problems you did with the mixing, etc. I really like Lee the best. I guess I'm in the minority. But the other groups oversing (as best I can tell on tv) and are out of tune - surely that is the first criterion - you must sing in tune!

I'm about to head to your mom's now to watch the finale!

Aunt Kathy said...

Kevin TiVo'd, and plays for anyone who will listen, SoCals Journey medley. I felt it was the single most impressive performance, but felt other groups were better overall. Nota was my favorite all the way through. I also felt they were the most marketable. Go for it CV!

Aunt Kathy said...

Kevin said he wanted the job of soundboard and mixing. That would be tough.